The Czechoslovakian design, dubbed the Vz.58 and adopted by that nation’s military in 1958, easily fulfilled the role of a true assault rifle, offering select-fire capability in a compact yet manageable package. However, it differed drastically from the Soviet AK in its design, its manufactured and—much to the dismay of Moscow—initially even it’s chambering.
In fact, the Vz. 58 as it was first developed was actually chambered for the German 7.92x33mm chambering of the StG44. However, after some decidedly intense pressure from the Soviet Union, the assault rifle was redesigned to chamber the standardized Soviet 7.62x39mm cartridge.
Operationally, the Vz. 58 is vey similar to a Kalashnikov, a quality no doubt appreciated by decision makers in Moscow who were likely agitated by the independent streak of the Czechoslovakian armsmakers.
As with the AK, simplicity is the key with the Vz. 58. To load the rifle, one rocks in the magazine from front rear until it engages the paddle-style magazine catch located at the rear of the magazine well. Once this is done, the user charges the action by retracting the reciprocating charging handle on the bolt carrier and releasing it to strip a round off the magazine.
The safety of the Vz. 58 deserves mention. As compared to the large and arguably clunky dustcover safety of the AK, the Vz. 58 sports a rotating lever thumb safety above the pistol grip. Other areas of note include the fact that the rifle features a last shot hold-open device actuated by an empty magazine. And the magazine itself is unique, being made from aluminum rather than steel (as with AK magazines).
Sights of the Vz. 58 would be familiar to anyone acquainted with a Kalashnikov, being made up of a sliding tangent rear assembly forward of the receiver. The front sight is a sturdy winged post assembly. Unlike latter day AKM-style Kalashnikov variants, the Vz. 58 has no means for conveniently attaching an optic.
The Vz. 58 was produced in two primary variants: a fixed stock standard model and a compact variant sporting a steel side-folding stock. The stock set material of the Vz. 58 is a unique wood-impregnated plastic material that was likely quite advanced in its day.
The Czech-inspired VZ2008 offers an extremely appealing alternative. Combining the added punch of the 7.62x39mm cartridge in a compact, handy and ultra-reliable package, the VZ2008 can easily fit the role of the ideal patrol carbine
CALIBER/GAUGE: 7.62 x 39mm
FINISH: Matte Black
FINISH TYPE: Black
STOCK: Wood Stock
STOCK/GRIPS: Wood Stock & Handguard
CAPACITY: 30 + 1
# OF MAGAZINES: 2
MAG DESCRIPTION: 30 rd.
SIGHTS: Open Rifle Sights
SIGHT TYPE: Adjustable Sights
THREAD PATTERN: 14x1mm LH
SPECIAL: Threaded Barrel Model
SAFETY FEATURES: Thumb Safety
ADDL INFO: Milled Receiver
ADDL INFO: Last Round Hold Open
ADDL INFO: Cleaning Kit, Oiler, Pouch
I'm looking forward to getting together
Estimated shipping times are posted on the product information page under the title "Ships On Or Before:" please note that all lead-times are estimates. For items in our warehouse, we usually ship within 3 business days. For items only available at distribution or other sources, the ship time may be up to 10 business days. For items only available at the manufacturer, the lead-time may be a few weeks or longer-- depending on availability.
Please also note that some items are unique, hard to obtain, or one-of-a-kind, so Impact reserves the right to cancel your order should an item not be available to ship.
We will not charge your credit card until your product ships, except for certain special orders.
We normally will ship FedEx and US POSTAL. If you need faster shipment, we can ship 2nd Day or Next Day for an extra charge.
Alaska and Hawaii residents - your order MUST ship 2nd day or faster. Most orders over $100 value will ship with a signature-required to ensure they make it to you. Products that have free shipping only applies to the lower 48 states.
NOTE: We make every effort to get your order shipped as fast as possible. In some circumstances, especially during sales and after weekends, we may not get your order shipped in the time specified. Please rest assured that we will ship your item as soon as we can.
We want you to be 100% satisfied with your purchase from Impact Guns, therefore we offer no hassle returns.
How do I start the return process?
- Log in to your www.impactguns.com account and locate and click on the "Request Return" link.
- An Impact Guns agent will review your request for a return and respond within two business days.
- All returns are subject to inspection and approval prior to refund being issued.
- All products need to be in new and original manufacturer condition.
- As an alternate method, you can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to include your original order number and relevant contact information.
When will I get my credit or return?
- Most returns are fully refunded in 3-5 days after we receive and process the return. It may take longer for the credit to appear in your account depending on your bank. Most items that are in stock ship within 3-5 days after receipt of your returned item but may take longer depending on availability.
- Returns must be charged back to the original credit card used in the purchase. If this is not possible, we will refund you via check.
What about damaged/incorrect items?
- If you received a damaged, defective, or incorrect item, Impact Guns will ship you a replacement of the exact item upon receipt of the damaged or defective item. Impact Guns will send you a return shipping label for the return.
What about return shipping costs?
- If an Impact Guns error causes the need to return an item or we are replacing a returned defective or incorrect item, then we will pay the associated shipping costs.
- Otherwise, the customer is responsible for any return shipping costs. When returning an item, please add package tracking and adequate insurance.