Silencerco’s Osprey family of pistol suppressors (or silencers, as often called) is a perfect blend of form and function. With the modern combat handgun in mind, Silencerco set out to create a silencer that performs well and looks like it belongs-the best possible marriage between host weapon and silencer. Silencerco went to work to make a suppressor that maximizes sound suppression levels, allows the use of more host pistols with factory sights, and has more operationally friendly features. What was created was the Osprey pistol silencer available for 9mm, .40 S&W, and 45ACP.
The Osprey is an eccentric silencer, which means that the bore does not run down the middle of the tube. Although round silencers are very effective for many applications, for a centerfire handgun round it has its limits. To obtain the most suppression, silencers must have as much internal volume as possible; but for a round tubular silencer, the only way to acquire more internal volume is by increasing the overall diameter and/or length. Increasing a tube’s diameter will obscure the site picture of the host gun and inhibit the possibility of holstering a weapon with the silencer still attached to the host gun.
The Osprey is an eccentric silencer, which means that the bore does not run down the middle of the tube. Because of this eccentric design, most of the baffles and internal volume is beneath the centerline of the bore and out of the way of the gun’s sights, thus leaving the shooter the ability to use factory sights with little or no sight or target obstruction. The Osprey has flat side walls and angled edges that mimic many modern combat handgun slides and is just slightly wider than most host pistols. This feature allows the host weapon to be holstered with many popular open bottom holster designs with Osprey attached. The Osprey contains approximately 30% more internal volume than a traditional round tube silencer at the same length, but does so without obscuring the shooter’s sight picture or adding excessive width and length.
Other Benefits Besides having the best suppression levels available for centerfire handguns, the Osprey silencer family has other benefits and features that are unique to the industry.
Because of its eccentric design, the Osprey must have a way to index to the host gun. Silencerco designed the patent pending cam lever locking system that allows the shooter to time the silencer to any host pistol. To mount, simply thread the Osprey on the muzzle just as you would a traditional silencer with the cam lever in the locked position. When the Osprey shoulders, hand tighten to ensure a tight fit then release the cam lever and rotate the Osprey to the proper orientation. Finally, move the cam lever back to the locked position. The Osprey will return to this index point for subsequent mountings until you change the host pistol or remove the piston assembly for cleaning.
Working in harmony with the patent pending cam lever locking system, the Osprey has a unique booster, or Nielsen device, that allows flawless cycling with all relevant semi-automatic handguns. All of the boosters are the same dimensions on all three Osprey calibers, which means you can interchange the piston portion for different thread specs and subcalibers. For example, you can shoot a 9mm or .40 S&W through a 45Osprey or a 9mm through a 40Osprey. Silencerco also offers a fixed barrel spacer for use on subguns/pistol caliber carbines and host weapons that have fixed barrels.
Tax stamps are expensive and take a lot of time. Silencerco believes that one tax stamp is enough for your silencer. With this in mind, Silencerco designed the Osprey for quick repairs and placed the serial number on the part least likely to be damaged by baffle strike or other mishaps. Warranty repairs are quick and easy.
The Osprey is very lightweight and does not greatly affect the balance of the host pistol. The 45Osprey and 40Osprey weigh 11 ounces, and the 9 mm Osprey weighs 9.84 ounces. Many people feel Osprey actually improves the balance of their host firearm. The Osprey also is a handy 8 inches long in the 45Osprey and 40Osprey models and only 7 inches long in 9mm. This design makes them “short” for their performance level.
Body Only, Piston Not Included
- Caliber: .45 ACP
- Weight: 11.1 oz
- Dimensions: 1.3"W × 1.75"H
- Length: 8.0625"
- Mount: Threads
- Sound Reduction: (Dry/Wet): 132.5 dB/123 dB (Tested with a HK USP Tactical with Remington UMC 230 Grain Ammunition)
- Finish: Aluminum Parts: Type III Hard Coat Anodizing, Stainless Steel Parts: Black Oxide
- Materials: Core/Caps: 7075 T6 Aluminum, Tube: 6061 T6 Aluminum, Piston/Mounting System: 17-4 Stainless Steel, Heat Treated, Black Oxide
- Features: Interchangeable pistons, Unobstructed sight picture, Can be holstered, Patent pending cam lock, Mounting system, Lifetime warranty
I purchased an Osprey 450 along with pistons for ,45 and 9mm as well as the fixed barrel spacer. After an obscenely long wait for my stamp, I could not be more pleased! I can now shoot comfortably without addition hearing protection; even indoors. This suppressor looks natural on my FNX .45 Tactical and it turns heads at the range! It's eccentric design lets me co-witness my holo sight with the iron sights. If I should ever have to defend my family and self, I know that it can do it without permanent hearing damage. If you buy only one centerfire pistol suppressor, make sure it is this one!
Estimated shipping times are posted on the product information page under the title "Ships On Or Before:" please note that all lead-times are estimates. For items in our warehouse, we usually ship within 3 business days. For items only available at distribution or other sources, the ship time may be up to 10 business days. For items only available at the manufacturer, the lead-time may be a few weeks or longer-- depending on availability.
Please also note that some items are unique, hard to obtain, or one-of-a-kind, so Impact reserves the right to cancel your order should an item not be available to ship.
We will not charge your credit card until your product ships, except for certain special orders.
We normally will ship FedEx and US POSTAL. If you need faster shipment, we can ship 2nd Day or Next Day for an extra charge.
Alaska and Hawaii residents - your order MUST ship 2nd day or faster. Most orders over $100 value will ship with a signature-required to ensure they make it to you. Products that have free shipping only applies to the lower 48 states.
NOTE: We make every effort to get your order shipped as fast as possible. In some circumstances, especially during sales and after weekends, we may not get your order shipped in the time specified. Please rest assured that we will ship your item as soon as we can.
We want you to be satisfied with your purchase and offer the following simple return policies for your benefit.
Due to safety, legal, and regulatory reasons, our return policy does not apply to the following items:
- firearms (including any serialized items ex. lower receivers)
- black-powder guns
Also, if a firearm is not picked up from the destination dealer, the customer is responsible for the return shipping charges and a 6% restocking fee.
Firearms Lifetime Guarantee: Impact Guns offers a lifetime guarantee of firearms. We guarantee to replace or repair any defective firearm for the life of the original purchaser. For details, see our Lifetime Warranty Policy.
How do I start the return process?
- Log in to your www.impactguns.com account and locate and click on the "Request Return" link.
- An Impact Guns agent will review your request for a return and respond within two business days.
- As an alternate method, you can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to include your original order number and relevant contact information.
When will I get my credit or return?
- Most returns are fully refunded in 3-5 days after we receive and process the return. It may take longer for the credit to appear in your account depending on your bank. Most items that are in stock ship within 3-5 days after receipt of your returned item, but may take longer depending on availability.
What about damaged/incorrect items (not including non-returnable items listed above)?
- If you received a damaged, defective, or incorrect item, Impact Guns will ship you a replacement of the exact item upon receipt of the damaged or defective item. Impact Guns will send you a return shipping label for the return.
What about return shipping costs?
- If an Impact Guns error causes the need to return an item or we are replacing a returned defective or incorrect item, then we will pay the associated shipping costs.
- Otherwise, the customer is responsible for any return shipping costs. When returning an item, please add package tracking and adequate insurance.