The gas-operated piston design absorbs recoil efficiently to improve follow-up shots and maintain target acquisition. Lending further aid is the match-grade, two-stage trigger that breaks crisply at 3.5-4.5 pounds, full-length MIL-STD 1913 rail at 12 o’clock position, and fixed buttstock providing adaptability to fit to each user’s needs through adjustable length of pull and cheek rest height.
Since its adoption of the AR15 by the U.S. Air Force in 1962, and by the U.S. Army in 1964, the basic individual military weapon of the United States has demonstrated certain compromises inherent in its design and cycle of operation.
Foremost among these compromises is the direct-gas impingement operation system. During the firing and ejection cycles, substantial amounts of carbon and other by-products of cartridge combustion are routed directly into the bolt and receiver areas, causing increased fouling. Naturally, this increased fouling results in reduced operating reliability and requires greater frequency of cleaning and other maintenance by the weapon operator.
Responding to concerns from special operators in combat regarding the reliability, accuracy, safety and ergonomics of the current platform, the Naval Surface Warfare Center, Crane, began an investigation of potential improvements. In the years that followed the U.S. Government conducted an Analysis of Alternatives (AoA) to determine if enhancements or upgrades could be made to the existing platform, or if a new weapon was needed. It was determined that a new, more reliable and more adaptable individual weapon was required.
In late 2003, the Joint Operational Requirements Document for a new combat assault rifle was approved and signed; the following January, a worldwide solicitation was issued to the military firearms industry.
In July 2004, in a full and open competition, nine vendors submitted twelve different designs for the three new weapon systems. Unlike the competition, FN delivered a new weapon built to the operator’s requirements—not adapted to them. The FN SCAR® submission passed all of the GO/NO-GO criteria and was unanimously chosen by the selection board composed of senior SOF operators representing every selection component. In November of the same year, FN was awarded the full FN SCAR® contract for both 5.56mm and 7.62mm rifles, along with the 40mm Enhanced Grenade Launcher Module (EGLM).
Developmental testing by FN designers, engineers and operators from various branches of the U.S. Military to evaluate the new weapons’ endurance, reliability and accuracy was conducted from August 2005 through January 2006. Four Early User Assessments were also conducted prior to, during and after the developmental testing process to integrate operator feedback into the final FN SCAR design.
- Category : Rifles Centerfire Tactical
- Action : Semi-Automatic
- Caliber : 308 Winchester/7.62 NATO
- Barrel Length : 20"
- Capacity : 10+1
- Trigger : Two-Stage Match
- Safety : Ambidextrous
- OAL : 40.6"-42.5"
- Weight : 11.2 lbs
- Stock Description : Flat Dark Earth Aluminum Alloy
- Metal Finish : Flat Dark Earth Anodized Receiver/Black Barrel
Estimated shipping times are posted on the product information page under the title "Ships On Or Before:" please note that all lead-times are estimates. For items in our warehouse, we usually ship within 3 business days. For items only available at distribution or other sources, the ship time may be up to 10 business days. For items only available at the manufacturer, the lead-time may be a few weeks or longer-- depending on availability.
Please also note that some items are unique, hard to obtain, or one-of-a-kind, so Impact reserves the right to cancel your order should an item not be available to ship.
We will not charge your credit card until your product ships, except for certain special orders.
We normally will ship FedEx and US POSTAL. If you need faster shipment, we can ship 2nd Day or Next Day for an extra charge.
Alaska and Hawaii residents - your order MUST ship 2nd day or faster. Most orders over $100 value will ship with a signature-required to ensure they make it to you. Products that have free shipping only applies to the lower 48 states.
NOTE: We make every effort to get your order shipped as fast as possible. In some circumstances, especially during sales and after weekends, we may not get your order shipped in the time specified. Please rest assured that we will ship your item as soon as we can.
We want you to be 100% satisfied with your purchase from Impact Guns, therefore we offer no hassle returns.
How do I start the return process?
- Log in to your www.impactguns.com account and locate and click on the "Request Return" link.
- An Impact Guns agent will review your request for a return and respond within two business days.
- All returns are subject to inspection and approval prior to refund being issued.
- All products need to be in new and original manufacturer condition.
- As an alternate method, you can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to include your original order number and relevant contact information.
When will I get my credit or return?
- Most returns are fully refunded in 3-5 days after we receive and process the return. It may take longer for the credit to appear in your account depending on your bank. Most items that are in stock ship within 3-5 days after receipt of your returned item but may take longer depending on availability.
- Returns must be charged back to the original credit card used in the purchase. If this is not possible, we will refund you via check.
What about damaged/incorrect items?
- If you received a damaged, defective, or incorrect item, Impact Guns will ship you a replacement of the exact item upon receipt of the damaged or defective item. Impact Guns will send you a return shipping label for the return.
What about return shipping costs?
- If an Impact Guns error causes the need to return an item or we are replacing a returned defective or incorrect item, then we will pay the associated shipping costs.
- Otherwise, the customer is responsible for any return shipping costs. When returning an item, please add package tracking and adequate insurance.